Tuesday, March 6, 2012

K-Pax diagnosis. Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder?

In the movie K-Pax, do you think Prot has Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder? I'm kind of leaning towards DID because of the amnesia, but that is all I can come up with. And the only thing I can come up with for schizophrenia is delusions and maybe thought disorders. Do you think there is another possible diagnosis? I need to pick one and have 2-3 reasons why. Help please!K-Pax diagnosis. Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder?
I have never seen this movie, but I can give you some information on Schizophrenia and DID that might help you figure it out.



People with Schizophrenia do not typically have multiple personalities, just delusions, hallucinations, and a separation from reality.



People with DID exhibit multiple partial personalities, one of which is the "host" identity. The host identity is not necessarily the most well-adjusted personality, but it is the one with which the person was born. DID patients have some symptoms similar to Schizophrenia, but it is a common misconception that they are one in the same.



Hope his helps!

3 comments:

  1. I started to think another dead ending... then I went through the movie and a couple different places again and thought: he has multiple personality...

    ReplyDelete
  2. DID. If you look it up in the DSM-5 you will see the symptoms line up.

    ReplyDelete